24 HOURS A DAY
WHAT ARE YOUR OPTIONS?
- Pay the tickets
If you have an unlimited amount of money and don't want to fight the tickets,
you may simply send a check to the Rhode Island Traffic Tribunal as instructed
on the citation.
- Ignore the tickets
This is the WORST thing you can do! If you do not pay the tickets or show up on
your scheduled court date, the driver's license may be suspended and the company's
registration for that truck may be suspended INDEFINITELY!
- Hire a qualified lawyer to FIGHT THE TICKETS!
In many cases, a qualified attorney can fight these tickets which includes
negotiating a dismissal, a significant reduction in fines, or explaining your
unique circumstances surrounding the disobedience to the signs and statutes.
You have a right to have a trial to determine whether you were properly issued
these tickets. WE WILL FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS!
HERE IS THE LAW
Rhode Island State Law § 31-25-30
Axle restriction on the Pawtucket River Bridge and the Sakonnet River Bridge.
- It shall be unlawful to transport or operate over or upon the Pawtucket River
Bridge or the Sakonnet River Bridge, any single vehicle equipped with more than
two (2) axles or any combination vehicle equipped with more than two (2) axles
per unit except those listed in this section.
- The director of the department of transportation is directed to post signs
to limit access as prescribed in subsection (a) of this section.
- The following vehicles shall be exempt from the provisions of this section:
any and all emergency vehicles, state vehicles, municipal vehicles, truck tractors
as defined in § 31-1-4 and Rhode Island public transit authority vehicles.
- For the purposes of this section, "carrier" means and includes any company or
person who furthers their commercial or private enterprise by use of the vehicle.
- Any carrier operating a vehicle or combination of vehicles in violation of
this section shall be fined three thousand dollars ($3,000) for the first offense,
not to exceed five thousand dollars ($5,000) for each and every subsequent offense.
- Nothing in this provision shall waive or modify existing weight restrictions
on the bridges as defined in § 31-25-27.
History of Section.
(P.L. 2008, ch. 9, art. 19, § 1; P.L. 2008, ch. 55, § 1.)